Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the eligibility requirements for this scholarship?
This program is designed for applicants of any age. Applicants must be:
- A legal and permanent resident of Canada;
- Diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis by a physician;
- Seeking an associate’s, undergraduate, or graduate degree from a Canadian university; a diploma or certificate from a Canadian college; or enrolled in a trade school educational program;
- A student who demonstrates academic ambition and embraces a way of life that goes above and beyond the boundaries of living with inflammatory arthritis; and
- Enrolled in or awaiting acceptance from a Canadian-based institution of higher education for the fall/winter semester of 2017/2018.
How will winners be selected?
Selection will be based on the following criteria, which must be included with your application:
- A one-page essay about how you are living above and beyond the boundaries of inflammatory arthritis and demonstrating academic ambition and personal achievement, and how you would benefit from the Scholarship. Past recipient essays have included a desire for academic achievement, perseverance in the face of inflammatory arthritis and details of school and community involvement;
- Two (2) one-page letters of recommendation from a teacher, school official, professional colleague or employer describing your unique qualities and how you embrace a way of life that overcomes the boundaries of living with inflammatory arthritis;
- An official academic transcript from your most recent year of education; and
- Confirmation of diagnosis from your treating physician.
How will I know if I have won?
Winners will be notified during the month of October 2017 via a personal telephone call and a confirmation letter.
Do I receive the cheque directly?
Yes. After a winner's educational enrollment has been verified for the fall/winter semester of 2017/2018, the scholarship cheque will be made payable to and directly mailed to the recipient.
If I have won in the past, may I reapply again this year.
Yes. Students who have been awarded a UCBeyond Scholarship in the past are welcome to apply, however this information will be taken into account throughout the selection process. Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously been awarded the UCBeyond Scholarship.
What can I use this scholarship award for?
Individual scholarship amounts will be awarded up to $5,000 CDN to cover the recipient's tuition and/or educational materials and expenses.